Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Cheese Please!

I haven't had cheese pizza after waiting in a line full of my own age group since I turned old enough to say "no, you can go right ahead". I hopefully wait in the back of the line with other vegetarians and some Jewish people on kosher diets. We chat, conspiring against the mass of cheese pizza hogging 7th graders, but, because we are the type of people who end up in the back of the line, no action ever comes of it. Our stomachs growl in unison, trying to provoke us into cutting. We all stand in a horizontal line in the back, no one in front or behind the other; an assembled mass of vegetarianism and mutted cries for cheese.


When we finally come to the front we hopefully peer into the buffet and then, finding no cheese, we move quitely along. We weren't even in line. Don't mind us.


Somehow we collect enough courage to confront the lunch lady who's expression was screaming "Don't make my job difficult!"


Us: "is there any cheese left?"


Lunch Lady: No.


Us: Will you be making anymore today?


Lunch Lady: No


Us: is there anything vegetarian?


Lunch Lady: You can pick off the sausage.


We all leave. We know that it leaves a taste and defeats the purpose. So we graze on the chips they sell.


I don't understand why the cafeteria even makes any sausage; everyone hates it. The pizza line concept makes no sense. The type of people who are vegetarians are usually the type that will let a hungry meat-eaters in front to take the coveted cheese pizza.


"No it's okay you can go right ahead"... ugh, curse my lack of assertiveness!


Anti-controversy-post-posting-note:


I have nothing against meat eaters, I apologize if I offended anyone. I'm a vegetarian for good reasons that I know thoroughly but I do not think meat-eaters are any worse than vegetarians. My vegetarianism was a personal decision so please do not judge me for it.


11 comments:

  1. My daughter (14) hates the school lunch food too. She's not a vegetarian, she just thinks it's gross. :)

    I like your blog! (By the way, she has a blog too. It's www.papermachedinosaurs.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vic, thanks for following! I wonder if even the lunch ladies would touch their food- it's really gross. I'll check out your daughter's blog- good to know I'm not the only teenager with this much free time. Thanks (again) I like your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man oh man, that pizza looks so yummy. And I just ate and have a tummy full of foodage. Sheesh!

    Good for you for going veggie!

    P.S. Do you play cello or just like looking at them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather Cherry, thanks and I play/played cello. I used to play in my orchestra but then I switched schools. I own one that I play on rare occations. I don't know if it counts.

    I tried to find a picture of the less apitizeing (sp?) square pizzas they serve in school but I couldn't find one, so ridicouly apitizeing pizza it is!

    (inflation of comment count...:) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL.

    Are you serious about the square pizza? Or is it sort of rectangular? We used to get rectangular pizzas when I was in elementary school and they were AWESOME. Seriously I completely adored them.

    High five - I played violin from like 3rd grade until my senior year of high school. My violin is beautiful and an antique. It's from Germany and was made over 125 years ago. It's hanging on my wall now for the piece of art that is really is. BTW, cello is one of my favorite instruments, along with French Horn. They have such beautiful deep color to their sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Thank you for stopping by ... I have been enjoying reading through your blog - it is quite impressive and I will be back for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather Cherry, the pizza is rectangular, unfortunately. It taste kinda good but not in the usual pizza way. I wouldn't know very well except from what I've heard (ugh, 7th graders). That's cool you played the violin *Princessparkle returns high five*!

    Thanks Banteringblonde, glad you like my blog. I thing yours is really cool!

    Both of you, thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man... Sparkle, you just GOTTA fax me a piece of that rectangular pizza. YUM!!!

    And you're right... 7th graders are SO passé.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll try Heather Cherry, if I ever get to the front of the line...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, you should not have to apologize for your choices in life. Be proud of them.

    I have not had good pizza since I moved to Montana. They don't know how to make it here. For that I truly miss NJ. THERE they know how to make pizza....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet NJ has better pizza than the Neatherlands *Princesssparkle says in a loathsome tone*!

    I just put the last thing up there to prevent people from thinking that I'm anti-meat-eater.

    (hehe my comment count is about to reach 11!)

    ReplyDelete

Comment and receive a free surprise gift

not really... remember G stands for Greatness (in other words, keep it G rated)