Friday, April 10, 2009

Lily, Disney Princesses, and Natural Selection

While reading on my back porch feeling extra sophisticated with tea and one-handed book reading skills, Oreo, destroyer of all, lurked in the shadow of the bird feeder. This deeply concerned the lovely Lily the labradoodle resulting in the most intimidating bark to ever escape any dog of her adorableness’s chops. Oreo, also a part time domesticated cat, decided she wanted nothing to do with it- not because she’s genuinely intimidated- she wasn’t in the mood.

At this point all of the cute, fuzzy creatures crawled out of hiding in a fashion worthy of an old Disney movie. A chipper little bird perched on our feeder with a song, it may just be my exaggerating nature, but it almost seemed like the bird was thanking Lily. Lily stood there, the feared and loved protector of all, with her little chocolate nose towards the wind and the bird- just watching. She was not causing any disturbance; she fit right in. I, on the other hand, received nervous glances from the squirrels, birds and even Lily every once in a while. Though I was lower on the food chain than most of them (herbivore), Lily was still trusted more.

Why can’t animals follow the Disney movie examples? If my life was a Disney movie the episode would have gone sort of like this:

I stroll through the forest with my beloved canine companion, Lily. I start to hum a random tune and some brave bird chirps in, of course in perfect harmony. A misanthropic kitty is hiding in the corner and Lily invites the cat to join the song. At this point my meaningless melody develops into a slightly more meaningful song with lyrics. The chorus of us sounds loud and the original brave bird perches on my finger and then slips with adorable cuteness.

I excluded the part where I somehow managed to put myself in mortal peril to be saved by a prince charming; not even Princessparkle would ever. I also ignored the fact that I can not sing for the life of me, this is Disney right?

It is no wonder Disney princesses and their singing companions are extinct; natural selection at work. How would any of these creatures ever survive?

Just another day of me wishing I was a princess…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and receive a free surprise gift

not really... remember G stands for Greatness (in other words, keep it G rated)