Saturday, April 18, 2009

What I'm NOT Buying This Weekend


I was accompanying my mother on her shopping trip. This was no ordinary shopping trip; we purposely fell in love with objects that we would/could never buy. The place was Studio 77, the most painful, yet somehow insanely gratifying, place to not shop. I followed along on my mother's heels, like a loyal puppy, digital camera at hand; just her daughter with the less popular blog.

I first looked at some pendants, they were like stamps someone would find on some one's Hogwarts invitation. They each had a letter, the stamped silver was even asymmetrical, as if they were stamped without unrealistic perfection. Now, it is commonly known about me that I think I was born in the wrong time. I wish I got to wear those billowing hoop skirts, now only found in films and historical reenactments. I could imagined it dangling from my neck like I was about to be mailed off to the 1600s, I took a picture, and in my mind, I'm wearing it, in spite the fact that my name does not start with a "K".

My second item to not buy were these lovely glasses. I, much to my disappointment, am no longer visually impaired. I would absolutely love to wear glasses, but while I had the chance, I was too eager to move on to contacts, and for some reason my vision improved. I can imagine myself reading, in a used bookstore, with coffee wearing these glasses, others would glance over at me, noting my sophisticated, pretentious, ways.

But wait, if I am pretentiously sitting in a used book store, don't I need a pen to mark my book with to make me look/be even more sophisticated looking? One mother's day we bought mom one of these beautiful pens to match her new office (the good ol' days where people had money) I have been caughtt staring at it; somehow believing that if I wrote with it I would instantly become a better writer. These are not just mere tubes with ink, they are sculptors filled with ink promising passing genius ideas onto paper.

Now, because this was not just an ordinary shopping spree, I went kinda overboard on the accessories:


Meaningless Deatiles: I actually have no idea how much I saved my estimate is around $800 though.

3 comments:

  1. Sparkle, trust me, be glad you don't need correction on your eyes. I have worn glasses/contacts/now back to glasses since I was 6.
    I now need 4 pairs for 4 different functions but my brain functions are such that I can't remember which pair is for which function nor where I left which pair...

    Don't get old. That's all I have to offer you. DON'T GET OLD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool non-purchases, sparkle. I especially love the necklace. I was so busy with my own not buying, I missed that one. Or maybe I'm just getting old. Na.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh I didn't know a goat could wear glasses! Haha!

    mom, I know I'd like you to buy me that if you have another $300 dollars burning a hole in your pocket,I mean, who doesn't right now?

    ReplyDelete

Comment and receive a free surprise gift

not really... remember G stands for Greatness (in other words, keep it G rated)